Because of the characteristics of the work performed, CompuStream employees can work almost anywhere, at least some of the time. Using the flexibility to work in a home office will help CompuStream succeed and move into the future with a productive and well-balanced workforce.
SAO PAULO – 06/01/2006 – CompuStream Consultoria, an outsourced business representation firm dedicated to assist international technology and communications companies to establish or enhance their presence in Brazil, announced today it has implemented a telecommuting program that will enable its employees to perform work from multiple sites such as home and customer location(s).
“Telecommuting is the ability to do your work at a location other than your official duty station. For some CompuStream employees, that is feasible because of their type of work that basically requires thinking, writing and telephone-intensive tasks like: data analysis, reviewing and obtaining information, writing reports, setting up meetings, follow up on sales leads, among others. With portable computers, high speed telecommunications links, and ever-present pocket communications devices, our employees can work almost anywhere; at least some of the time.” said Maximilian Immo Orm Gorissen, CompuStream Chief Executive Officer.
When CompuStream started to consider mobilizing its workforce, it considered a variety of issues to maintain a productive and well-balanced workforce. Just to illustrate, before becoming a telecommuter, it is required of the employee to meet the following conditions:
- Ensure that the home office is a safe place to work;
- Keep personal disruptions such as non-business telephone calls and visitors to a minimum;
- Ensure the protection of Proprietary CompuStream and Client information accessible from their home;
- Make advance arrangements for dependent care to ensure a productive work environment (telecommuting is not a substitute for day care or other personal obligations);
- Obtain pre-approval from the supervisor for use of vacation time or sick leave to attend to family or home matters during home office hours;
- Ensure work area is free of obstructions to eliminate trip and fall hazards;
- Ensure work area has proper lighting, ventilation and furniture;
- Set up the home work site in an ergonomically correct fashion.